Welcome to UCMB website
Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau (UCMB) is the health office of the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) in Uganda and the technical arm of the Health Commission of the Uganda Episcopal Conference (UEC), carrying out its day to day operations.
The RCC started health care services for the rural under-previlaged before independance in Uganda. At the moment it counts 32 hospitals (2 of them are specialised service providers) with 13 training schools, 1 laboratory training school and 258 Lower Lever Units (LLU), with over 8,566 health workers. These institutions constitute a sizeable component of the public health system in Uganda.
Co-ordination and facilitation of and policy development for the health units is organized at intermediate/diocesan level and at national level through the Health Commission of the Bishops’ Conference and its technical arm-UCMB.
We are in a world where:
- The individual, the families and the communities pursue a holistically healthy life style.
- The families and the communities are empowered to accompany those who suffer.
- Those who suffer find support, care and treatment in a spirit of Christian solidarity.
The RCC health care services are based on this Vision and the concept of Primary Health Care and the ensuing strategy of Health For All and seek to realize that:
- Health units offer basic curative, preventive and promotional health care services that are available, accessible and affordable for all in the defined catchment area;
- Services are sustainable in the local socio-economic system;
- Health care provider’s work together with communities and related sectors to promote a better health care status for all based on community involvement and responsiveness to local needs;
- Services are integrated with – and complementary to other services in the public health system in the context of the district health care system;
- Services are provided in harmony with other sectors of development.
UCMB Technical Focus AreasOrganisational management and development, Human resource management, Information management, Financial Management, Health Training Institution, Quality and Patient Safety, Public-Private Pertnership management, Pastoral care of the Sick, AIDS Care and Treatment Management Program.
Get details from UCMB booklet on “Mission Statement and Policy of Catholic Health Services in Uganda”